What happens if a vegetarian wants to join the military?

And remain a vegetarian while in the military, of course. Do they accommodate vegetarians?

I’m referring mainly to western countries like Canada, USA, UK, etc.

(I’m not planning to join; I was just wondering)

A vegetarian can certainly join the US military. We had a vegetarian in boot camp, and there wasn’t a problem. The chow hall has a variety of options to choose from and, as is included in any healthy diet, they provide vegetables, grains, legumes, and fruits for someone to eat with their diet or AS their diet. There are vegetarian MRE’s as well.

I am a vegan and a Marine Corps veteran. While I wasn’t vegan (or even vegetarian in the Marine Corps…I became disabled during my service and read it could help, so I tried it and it does to a small extent), I can easily see how I could have lived as a vegan while in the US Marine Corps.

Comments

1. robot_hooker5 says

You’re probably accommodated by not being forced to eat meat. But then no one is forced to eat anything in the military.

2. robert w says

nothing you do the same as anywhere else you only eat what you want they don’t force u to eat anything you don’t want

3. Biohazard says

My best friend is a vegetarian and he has no problems. In fact, he had specific permission from his commander to wear non leather boots. There are vegetarian MREs. The dining facilities do very well to cater to vegetarians.

4. lconnor65 says

They have vegetarian MRE’s. During training you have a small selection of food to pick from but you don’t have to eat any meat.

5. gunplumber_462 says

The US military can accommodate that particular fetish to some small degree as long as it doesn’t interfere with REAL mission requirements. If it gets in the way of your actual military function you’re either going to adjust to the way things need to be done or separate.

6. Jasen N says

Well, let me put it this way; you’ll get to truly learn what "Intestinal Fortitude" really means.

7. Jesse says

vegeterians are allowed in the military. You can continue to be a vegetarian in the military. They have vegetarian meals and everything.

8. Kat says

During boot camp there will be plenty of choices of food as you go through the mess line. Once you get out you can make your own choices. Vegans are individuals who never use any leather or do they eat any animal products such as milk,etc,.. Vegetarian don’t eat meat of any kind. I am a vegetarian but have coincided to some fish
    Navy Wife

9. Mrsjvb says

while they don’t go out of their way to accomodate dietary restrictions like that, it is possible to remain vegetarian without compromising too much. In fact it is often said that the vegetarian MREs are the tastiest.

10. Hannibal The Cannibal says

USMC veteran

11. DaVe says

In most of these countries you mentioned above it shouldn’t be a problem but if you have to travel to places like Alaska, Germany, or any cold places for training or deployment. You might face problems in food. These places usually do not produce anything but are reliable for fishing. So you might face limitations in food.

12. INFANTRY says

Yes they do, they even have two MRE’s(meals ready to eat) that are vegetarian. now in basic training or boot camp, you might not really have a choice because you would be so hungry but when you get into the real army where you do your daily work, unless you are in the field, you can stick to being a vegetarian.
    active army INFANTRY

13. joesmart8699 says

The vegetarian gets to join. Also allowed to be proud of serving. Also can have the odd bit of meat if desired and still basically be vegetarian.

14. tklong says

You will be fine. There are plenty of choices. I am a vegetarian and was active duty for 8 years. May have to eat a lot of PB & J at boot camp but you will be fine. They wont force you to eat anything you dont want.

15. says

Everything others have said is basically true, however, be prepared for them to do everything they can to convince you that eating your meat is good for you and required to be a big strong boy.

Besides, if they want you to shoot people with out hesitation, how nervous are they going to be when you have ethical difficulties eating a cow someone else shot for you?