What are some vegetarian alternatives to lunch meat?

I’m becoming a vegetarian, and I’ll be going to high school in the fall and packing a lunch. I was wondering, what are some meat-free alternatives to turkey or ham sandwiches? And what would be a good example of a healthy, vegetarian lunch?

Thanks.

there are some veggie lunch meats available but they are a bit expensive especially if you’re gonna eat them every day so i would suggest making your own at home.here are two recipes that are delicious
-veggie lunch meat
-Hickory Smoked Veggie Turkey Lunch meat
i also love making spreads here are a few ideas (i really like the green olive hummus)
-green olive hummus
-white bean dip (i use it as a spread)
-mushroom pate (really good with some saltines)
-babaghanoosh (eggplant spread)
-Foul Mudammes (my family eats this for breakfast with flat bread and it’s really good sprinkled with lemon juice but i also like it spread on toast with tomato slices)

Technorati Tags:

Comments

1. Rockstar says

i cant answer this question but i absoodutley LOVE the puppy you have on the screen. so cute

2. Henry says

There are countless numbers of soy-based lunch meats out there, and most of them don’t taste half bad.

3. pet says

I love yves baloney slices! They’re pretty good in a sammich with mustard.
    veg for life

4. Nick says

Well supermarkets near my house have meatless lunch meat (its like substitution for chicken, turkey, and like ham), or you could try making like a grilled cheese the night before, ive even made quesadillias with refried beans, cheese, and taco sauce, or go through your kitchen and try put things together, good luck

5. Wild Sage says

I’m not a vegetarian, but I rarely eat meat at lunchtime. My typical lunch consists of:

Fat-free yogurt
    Fruit (such as an apple or a peach)
    Pretzels or popcorn
    2 cookies

Why the thumbs down? Just because I said I’m not a vegetarian…sheesh! There’s no meat in any of the foods I eat for lunch! I know yogurt isn’t vegan, but she said VEGETARIAN.

6. Gluten-free Vegan says

You can make hummus sandwiches, a thick layer of it, with lettuce and tomato, cucumbers, maybe some dressing if you like. You’ll get plenty of protein that way. Make rice and bean salads to take, they are eaten cold. Tofu fried in slices, if done right, are flavourful with a crisp outside and soft middle, I usually make a marinade for them, let them cook in the oven for 20min with tin foil over top, this lets the flavours soak in, and then fry them with a bit of oil over med-high heat. You can cook up 16 slices at a time and have them for 3 days in sandwiches. It usually takes everyone a few attempts at cooking tofu before they find a method that makes it taste like heaven.

7. Julia S says

You can still eat sandwiches. Fill them with hummus or other bean spread, marinated vegetables, PB&J (or other nut butters… try cashew butter with apricot jam), egg salad, tofu "egg" salad, or veggie cold cuts (my favorite is the Field Roast brand).

You can also have salads, soups (put into a thermos), veggies and dip, baked potato with chili, leftover stir fry, burritos, healthy nachos… the list goes on and on.

My ideal bag lunch would probably be a vegetarian muffuletta sandwich, some tomato-y soup, maybe some crackers or veggie sticks and hummus, and a juice spritzer to drink.

8. Chanteuse_ar says

I get the veggie special at Subway all the time and it’s easy to make at home, baby spinach, cucumbers, tomato, peppers, shredded carrots, lettuce (cheese – optional) top with your favorite salad dressing and you’re good to go.

If you have access to an oven, you can roast vegetables and make enough for 3 days…cut large slices of zucchini, eggplant, peppers, about 1/4" thick and whole portobello mushroom caps and toss in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread them on a cookie sheet and roast at 350 until they start to brown and soften. Then, after they cool, wrap them in foil and refrigerate until you’re ready to make a sandwich with them. You can add some goat cheese or smoked mozzarella, balsamic vinegar and olive oil and it’s a fantastic sandwich.

You can also shred vegetables and make a vegetable salad with mayo and make a sandwich the same way you would make a tuna sandwich.

But my favourite is my own invention but you have to know something about cooking. Take some firm tofu and slice into 1/4" thick slices. Toss the slices in cornstarch seasoned with salt and pepper (szechuan pepper if you can get it) garlic powder and cayenne powder. Then fry them until super crispy. Load them onto a hero roll and top with cilantro, bean sprouts, shredded carrot and any other vegetable you like and drizzle with hoisin sauce (you can find it in the asian section of most supermarkets).

9. dobbaaa says

You could buy Tofurky lunch slices, and to replace ham, buy some veggie bacon (I call it fakin’ lol).
    But what I did during the school year (seeing as I had like NO money), I bought avocados, and I spread them on my sandwich to replace the meat (they’re VERY high in protein, too!)
    You can also pack pita with hummus- another great alternative, plus it’s tasty!

My favorite thing to pack this year was a wheat pita with hummus, a baggie full of baby tomatoes, bell pepper, and carrots, a baggie full of berries, a cookie, nuts, and sometimes a spinach salad (I eat a lot).

But yeah! And good for you for going veg! 😀

10. Elaine says

St Yves makes many luncheon "meats"- I like the roasted turkey, but there’s also ham and bologna flavors. There are actually several brands that make them. At my grocery store, they’re not with the regular lunch meats, but near the tofu.

I also really like making a sandwich of avocado, tomato, lettuce, and red onion.

11. happy_fantasy@rocketmail.com says

-veggie lunch meat
    -Hickory Smoked Veggie Turkey Lunch meat
    -green olive hummus
    -white bean dip (i use it as a spread)
    -mushroom pate (really good with some saltines)
    -babaghanoosh (eggplant spread)

12. David C says

easy vegetarian lunch:
    pasta dish with some olive oil, parm, garlic, and some vegetables…it’s good hot or cold, and a serving size fits nicely in one of those glad containers
    a yogurt…delicious, and healthy
    milk/juice/soda…i’d say rotate…sure milk and juice are good for your body, but they get boring everyday…throw a can of coke in once every now and then
    apple…apples are a great after-meal food because they’re healthy, and they help to clean your teeth a bit

i’m not a vegetarian, and i thought up these ideas while eating a delicious sandwich i just made with some italian meats and homemade dressings, but you know…i think this is probably a great way to keep healthy, and eat well. also, take a pb&j to school with you every now and then too. since you’re starting up on a vegetarian diet a lot of people think "oo oo! fruits and vegetables!!!" there are a lot of people who forget about grains, nuts, and other delicious, non-meat things. also, peanut butter is a great source of protein, which is something that a lot of vegetarians lack in their diets, and that can cause serious problems down the road. enjoy your new, meat-free lifestyle :) best of luck
    References :
    culinary professional with training in nutrition

13. Elissa P says

Roasted veggies are good.

Hummus is orgasmic! (if you haven’t had it try it!) You have it with bread, Meba toast, Pita bread, pretzels etc…. quick lunch or snack

Annie Chuun is good, not all are veg but it’ll tell you on the box if is or not.

classic veggie soup (but get the vegetarian veggie soup, sounds weird but some soupd use beef stock so avoid those)

(On a personal note try to avoid tofurky i know some have raved about it but it you’re like me (VERY picky) you won’t like them.)

And of course the obvious veggie burger or a rice cake (the morning star cakes) veggie hot dogs taste a lot like regular hot dogs (i HATE hots dogs so i hate those too lol) but if you liked hot dogs then try those.

PB&J is also good, Everyone loves PB&J

Tofu is a super food make it with anything and you’re golden!

Good luck ^^

14. says

So true about hummus – it so a delicious and you can do anything with it. I love to make a veggie sandwich with a heavy whole grain bread, a big slab of hummus, avocado, sliced cucumbers, sprouts and a sprinkle of Goya Adobo seasoning. I put Adobo on everything because I love a ton of flavor and that seasoning just makes everything even that much better. I also really like the Tofurkey lunch meat and they have some great flavors. Sometimes I will make a wrap with it and the pepperjack veggie slices cheese. It is better than those icky old meat sandwiches.
    Enjoy!!

15. says

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?