The relationship between what people feel and what people eat could no longer be denied. As they say, you are what you eat. Thus, your best line of defense against any negative or disheartening disposition is in the food you take in. In a similar manner, your diet could be your most effective weapon against anxiety symptoms such as nausea, excessive sweating and numbness. In the next attack of this medical condition, you should reach for your stock of these natural remedies instead of relying on commercialized medicines. Here is a list of the top 10 vegetables that could help in reducing your agony.
1. Broccoli. What could be a simple accompaniment to fish, chicken and pork could actually be your best friend in fighting off irrational and intense fears. The secret of this green, leafy vegetable’s capacity to relieve you from anxiety and stress comes from its stock of vitamin B and folic acid. These two nutrients are the mortal enemies of anxiety. Increasing intake of broccoli in your diet would also help you in combating depression. Broccoli also contains serotonin, the relaxation hormone.
2. Maca root. Even before Maca root supplements and drink mixes have been introduced, this Peruvian root has already been noted for its soothing effect. Even in its unprocessed form, this herb contains an essential phytonutrient that has been proven to be effective in relieving anxiety. This herb is also highly recommended to be an alternative to antidepressants because it still leads to the same result but involves lesser side effects. Maca root is usually made into a tea.
3. Spinach. If calming down yourself has been difficult for you, spinach will be a big blessing. Spinach is among those fruits and vegetables high in tryptophan, a type of an amino acid that induces relaxation and emotional calmness. Consequently, individuals with anxiety disorder exhibit a deficiency in tryptophan.
4. Squash. Foods that are rich in complex carbohydrates increase serotonin levels in your body and help weaken your feeling of being anxious and fearful. People who are afflicted with anxiety disorders are often advised to increase their intake of foods rich in complex carbohydrates such as starchy vegetables. Including these foods in your meal or snack menus and mixing a variety of complex carbohydrates will undoubtedly lead to better results.
5. Asparagus. This vegetable is one of those with the highest folic acid content. Thus, asparagus can surely help in making you feel good about yourself and your environment. You will then be less fearful and anxious of the unknown.
6. Arugula and basil. These herbs are very popular as ingredients in dishes. They are very good in adding flavor to food. They also simulate a positive disposition by supplying folate. It has also been empirically supported that mood disorders are closely linked to deficiencies in folate and vitamin B. Now, in cooking food, you will have more than one reason to include arugula and basil in your dishes.
7. Beans. Beans are rich sources of vitamin B, particularly B6. Beans can help in lessening your stress. They are also rich in protein, the building blocks for the production of amino acids.
8. Collard greens. One cup of cooked collard greens already contains approximately 38mg of magnesium.
9. Legumes. Legumes are very rich with B-6 and pantothenic acid, equipping these vegetables with the ability to calm down the emotions of an individual.
10. Mushrooms. Mushrooms are loaded with biotin and niacin which metabolizes and processes energy and improves cardiovascular functions, respectively.